Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Toilet Debate settled: Up or Down

I found this and just thought I should post it: It's an economics paper by a Michigan State Uni professor. The link is here. But here's the abstract:
This paper develops an economic analysis of the toilet seat etiquette, that is, whether the toilet seat should be left up or down. I investigate whether there is any efficiency justification for the presumption that men should leave the toilet seat down after use. I find that the “down rule” is inefficient unless there is a large degree of asymmetry in the inconvenience costs of shifting the position of the toilet seat across genders. I show that the “selfish” or the “status quo” rule that leaves the toilet seat in the position used dominates the down rule in a wide range of parameter spaces including the case where the inconvenience costs are the same. The analysis can be applied to other shared facilities that can be customized to each user’s preference.
Here's the evidence you need, guys out there who live/ share bathrooms with women or anyone who insists that the toilet seat should always be down. Just sayin'.
To be fair, I share a flat now with 4 gals, so this analysis doesn't work in my case given the asymmetry in inconvenience costs. Sucks for me!

No comments: